22. juuni toimub Roosta Jaanipidu ansambliga KLUBI. Üritus on TASUTA

Sights of Lääne-Nigula parish
and Noarootsi.

North-Western Läänemaa is worth discovering!

In the minds of Estonians, Noarootsi is mainly associated with the coastal Swedes who lived here from the mid-13th century until 1944. As a reminder of the Estonian Swedes, the Noarootsi region also has place names in Swedish. The origins of the name Noarootsi remain shrouded in mystery, with numerous legends surrounding it. Noarootsit is first mentioned in writing in 1319 year (Nucke).

You can read more about the history and present of Noarootsi here:

Noarootsi Church and Pastorate

The church was built in the late Gothic style probably around 1500 year major alterations were made in both the 18th and 19th centuries. The organ was restored in 1991 . In the churchyard you will find sun crosses, and near the church is the early classicist Taube family chapel. In the newer part of the cemetery there is a memorial to the soldiers of the War of Independence (restored in 1990). East of the church, across the road, is Noaroots Pastorate, built in the 17th century. and is one of the oldest preserved wooden buildings in Läänemaa.

More info: 5904 5949 (Tiiu Tulvik).

Österby fire station

built in the 1930s and completed in 1998. The restored Estonian social fire station is located in the village of Österby.

Dirham seaside ruins

The seaside ruins of the pre-World War I lie west of Dirham harbour.

Gneissbretsa boulders

Two large boulders (Kasemetsa and Allika boulders) are located near the Salajõe – Ingküla road. The larger boulder is 3.9 m high and the smaller 3.4 m high.

The Lyckholm Museum

The museum was opened in 1997 in the horse stables of the Saare Manor (restored 1995-1996). The museum’s exhibits include former farming tools and handicraft and household items donated by local people. The first room of the museum deals with the history of the village. The museum is open from 10.00-18.00 from Wednesday to Sunday from May to October.

For more information call 5048 490. Visits from October to May by appointment (tel. 5698 8440 Anu Kari).

Osmussaar

Osmussaar is located about 10 km from Dirham Harbour in the Osmussaar Landscape Reserve and covers an area of about 480 ha. Before World War II, 130 people lived on the island, all of whom were evacuated in 1940. Until 1992 the island was home to a Soviet communications unit. 2001. Since 2007, the island has been repopulated and the family that settled on the island has been raising sheep. The attractions are: The ruins of a stone cable car built on the island in 1766. The lighthouse built in 1954 (the lighthouse built in 1765 was destroyed in 1941), the bank and the seawalls.

The island is visited by a company called Osmusaare reisid.

Österby harbour mole

Built at the beginning of the last century by local farmers using iron stones, the harbour mole is located in the village of Österby and was originally 265 metres long, but is now about 215 metres long. From there there was a regular boat connection with Haapsalu until 1994.

Lakes in Peraküla

Peraküla is located in an area of coastal paths starting from Spitham and extending along the coast to Harjumaa. Lake Tantsujärv (Allikajärv) has an area of 8.3 ha and a maximum depth of 1.6 m. Peraküla lakes are surrounded by shorelines with an average height of 5 m. Lake surrounded and originated from Peraküla swamp, the Uuejõe stream has created a picturesque scenery of beachfront hills. The end of the trip could be in Nõva. You can also drive to Lake Veskijärv and Tänavjärv.

Pürksi Manor House and Park

The manor house, built in the 19th century, is located in the centre of the municipality in the village of Pürksi. The manor belonged to the Ungern-Sternberg family until 1919. Between 1920 and 1943 the manor was home to the Pürksi Agricultural and Folk University. In 1989-1995 the building was restored and is now home to Noarootsi Gymnasium. Pürksi Park is a nature reserve, with a protected beech and a unique ring of lime trees.

Ramsi Peninsula

Ramsi Peninsula that is situated in Einbi Village is known for its rich vegetation. The tip of the cape is the most western point of the mainland of Estonia. From the peninsula of Ramsi there is a beautiful view of the island of Vormsi and the Voos Strait, which separates the island from the mainland.

Riguld Manor

The manor, which belonged to the Taubede family, was first mentioned in 1604 and the surviving building dates from the early 19th century. The early classicist manor house is a one-storey wooden building with a high hip roof.

The Rooslepa chapel

The chapel is located by the Tuksi-Spitham road in Rooslepa cemetery. Rooslepa Chapel was one of the three auxiliary churches of the Noarootsi parish, built in the 1830s. The decay of the building started in the late 1970s. The chapel walls were conserved in the early 1990s. The cable was restored in 2006, largely in its former form.

Saare Manor

The manor, which belonged to the Rosen family, is located in the village of Saare/Lyckholm. The manor buildings were built in the 18th-19th centuries and restored by Baron Gustav Friedrich von Rosen. Võnnu peninsula is home to the largest boulder in Läänemaa – the Kalevipoja stone.

Salajõe springs

The largest karst area in Läänemaa is located a few kilometres from Linnamäe towards Sutlepa. It is around 600 metres long and 100 metres wide. Around 1.5 kilometres of Salajõgi River flows into Haapsalu Bay below ground. Its source is in the springs south-west of the road, from where it flows as the Tiberna River.

Sutlepa Sea

One of Estonia’s oldest wooden buildings, the Sutlepa Chapel, was located on the shore of the Sutlepa Sea, where religious services began in 1627 . In 1970 the chapel was transferred to the Open Air Museum in Tallinn.

Sutlepa Windmill

The windmill is located in the centre of Sutlepa village. Built in 2003 on the basis of drawings of the former Noaroots windmill. 19. At the beginning of the twentieth century, there were about 100 windmills in Noarootsi parish, none of which have survived to this day. At the windmill there is a car park, a seating area and a large map of the municipality.

Telise marker towers

Marker towers, which are normally found on the shore close to the waterline or within low water itself, were originally designed to ensure safe sailing and simplify navigation. The towers at Telise were constructed from local stone in 1910. . The lower tower rises 7 metres above sea level; the upper tower 11.9 metres above sea level. The distance between them is 416 metres. Marker towers have fallen out of use and are no longer constructed. Those that remain in Estonia have been placed under national protection.

Uuejõe valley and sand dune

The estuary of the New River (from Spitham towards Nõva) is often piled up with sandbanks during storms, causing the estuary to wander. Water lily grows in Uuejõe. The dunes running along the beach, a few metres high, are interesting. There is a car park, bbq area, and camping sites by Uuejõe.

West Estonia is an exciting place full of surprises.
Read more on puhkaeestis.ee

Want more activities at Roosta Holiday Village?